For this assignment we were asked to look at clichés that appear in social media. Here I have sourced 8 examples of possibly the worst and most cringe worthy cliché that can be seen to appear constantly on the social media site Facebook.
For some unknown reason, a hand full of men think it is necessary to take photos of them selves topless in the mirror and them post them on their Facebook pages for the world to see………. This I find worrying, what has the world come to?
Common visual signifiers of this cliché include the subject being topless and taking the photo of their upper body. They are often tensing their muscles to appear as big or as toned as possible. The photograph is staged with questionable pose’s and taken of a reflection in the mirror using a smart phone or digital camera……… WHY, WHY, WHY.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media sites such as Facebook.
Disadvantages of Social Media.
* Sites such as Facebook provide an unnecessary platform for absolute tools like those seen above to make utter idiots of themselves by posing topless in the mirror.
* The site gave birth to the Facebook celebrity and now often young people are ruining their lives by doing utterly appalling things for 15 minuets of fame on Facebook
* It is arguable that sites such as this are isolating todays society as more and more people spend their time indoors, glued to the computers living through a virtual reality rather than outside in the real world.
* Facebook has a very poor content filter, therefore a young child could view content through the site that they may not be old enough to see.
* People tend not to think to much about the things they post on Facebook and this has led to the loss of jobs, and relationships, as people have the ability to post what’s on their minds instantly, and this is not always a good thing.
* Facebook is great for keeping in touch with friends and family.
* Facebook has provided a platform for businesses to promote and advertise products and services, allowing them to reach a larger audience than ever before.
* It is a free and easy way to contact people on the move, for example using Facebook chat via a smart phone.
* People are constantly posting links to both interesting and entertaining news feeds allowing for quick access to todays media.
* Facebook can be a great place for musicians, artists, righters and more to post their work, receive instant feed back and reach a large audience.
This task has helped me to identify clichés in modern social media sites as well as analyse both the positive and negative sides to sites such as Facebook.